Chilli is a firm favourite in the Bebe household. This recipe below is a family recipe passed down from my mum’s side of the family. It is packed out with vegetables for a healthier and more filling dinner.
•500g extra lean (5% fat) minced beef
•1 onion (red or white)
•1 clove garlic
•1 tsp chilli powder (adjust to your own taste, you can use mild chilli powder if you prefer)
•1 tsp ground cumin
•1 tsp smoked paprika
•I tsp dried coriander or a small bunch of fresh
•2 400g tins chopped tomatoes
•1 tbsp tomato puree
•1 400g tin red kidney beans
•A variety of vegetables of your choice diced, to bulk out the dish
1. In a large non-stick frying pan place the mince, garlic and onion. Dry fry on a medium her until the meat is browned and the onions softened, keep it moving to ensure it does not burn. I do not add oil as the meat juices are enough to keep it moist.
2. Whilst the meat is browning dice up your selection of vegetables so they are ready to add later.
3. Once the meat has browned add the chilli powder, ground cumin, smoked paprika and coriander. Stir until the meat has an even coating of all the spices.
4. Add your selection of vegetables and fry for several minutes. I try to stick with the ‘eat a rainbow’ philosophy and add as many different coloured vegetables as possible whilst adding whatever we have that needs using up. Vegetables we use a lot are; peppers of all colours, baby corn, carrots, sweetcorn, green beans, mangetout, courgette, and mushrooms.
5. Add the tinned tomatoes and tomato puree. Stir well and turn the heat down so the chilli is on a slow simmer.
6. Drain and rinse the kidney beans and stir into the chilli.
7. Leave to simmer for around 30 minutes, stiring occasionally. This can simmer on a low heat for a couple of hours if you want to prepare earlier.
8. Serve piping hot and enjoy.
Serves 4 generous portions.
Points per serving: 5 smart points
Points per recipe: 21 smart points
I serve the chilli with either courgetti (no added points), rice (add 6 smart points) or stand and stuff Tortillas (add 2 smart points each).